The deadline for the call for scores has passed. Check out website emorycomposerssociety.com for more info about the Chamber Connections Concert.
CALL FOR SCORES — EMORY COMPOSERS’ SOCIETY CHAMBER CONNECTIONS FALL 2022
Deadline: September 9th, 2022
Emory Composers’ Society is happy to announce the opening of submissions for its Fall 2022 “Chamber Connections” Concert, scheduled for 11/05/2022 at the No Tomorrow music and arts venue in downtown Atlanta!
ELIGIBILITY & OTHER INFO:
- Undergraduate students of Emory University (no major requirement).
- Undergraduate students at other Atlanta/Georgia-area colleges (no major or program requirement).
- Recent alumni (~3 years) or graduate students of Emory University are also eligible.
- There is no submission fee, and there are no restrictions on style/aesthetic/recency of composition.
We are seeking submissions of acoustic music with instrumentation falling into one of the below categories. Recognizing historical biases and barriers in music composition, we encourage submissions from BIPOC and LGBTQ+ composers. Composers will receive video and audio recordings of their work for personal, non-commercial use. Traditionally notated, graphic, improvised, and other works welcome. Scores do NOT need to be newly composed or un-performed.
Option 1: ECS Composers’ Ensemble
The ECS Composers’ Ensemble is a student-run music ensemble with: violin, cello, flute, clarinet, piano, and acoustic guitar. Works may be for any 1-6 members of this ensemble.
Option 2: Self-initiated Work
Composers may perform their own work at the concert. For this option, composers must submit a draft recording of the piece upon application, and a follow-up check-in recording before the concert to demonstrate readiness.
We will aim to program as many of the submitted pieces as possible. The jury will be members of the ECS Executive Board, (students and faculty advisors), and we will make selections based on: the clarity of notation and idiomatic writing for chosen instruments, artistic merit, and other factors. Pieces should be at most around 6 minutes long. ECS’s executive board reserves the right to make the final decision regarding any submitted piece.
Accepted composers should be available for the concert and attend at least one rehearsal before the concert (a virtual option for rehearsal can be organized if needed).
Please contact Eli Parrish (Artistic VP) or Solomon Kim (President) with any questions.
firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com
Please be prepared to submit:
- Full score and parts for your piece in PDF format.
- MIDI realization or preliminary recording for your piece in MP3 format.
- Please upload your files in the following format: Last_First_Title_Part (ex. Smith_John_Passacaglia_Piano.pdf)
- Title, duration, instrumentation of your piece
- Brief explanation of artistic motivations
- Sept 9th: Submissions Due
- Sept 12th: Notifications Sent
- Sept 12th – November 5th: Rehearsals with composers in attendance (schedule TBA).
- November 5th: Concert Day